Are you tired of looking at your butt in the mirror and what you see? Or not loving the way your trousers sag when you wear them? The squat is the solution to this dilemma. When this exercise is done consistently with the right techniques, It helps to increase the tonality and musculature of the butt.
With regards to butt-sculpting moves, there's no better exercise than the squat. It activity targets your glutes, as well as your thighs and core. So we created a 28-day squat challenge. You can follow this plan along with your typical workout (even on cardio or lower-body days), or do it as a separate exercise. It can even be done on your coffee break as it takes just 5 minutes.
#1 Split Leg Squats
- Position yourself into a staggered stance with the rear foot elevated and front foot forward.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, letting them hang at the sides. This will be your starting position.
- Begin by descending, flexing your knee and hip to lower your body down. Maintain good posture througout the movement. Keep the front knee in line with the foot as you perform the exercise.
- At the bottom of the movement, drive through the heel to extend the knee and hip to return to the starting position.
READ MORE: 8 Exercises to Lose Those Love Handles In 4 Weeks
Day 1 - 20 reps
Day 2 - 30 reps
Day 3 - rest
#2 Jump Squats
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Start by doing a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
- When you land, lower your body back into the squat position to complete one rep. Land as quietly as possible, which requires control.
Day 4 - 20 reps
Day 5 - 30 reps
Day 6 - 40 reps
Day 7 - rest
#3 Plie Squats
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder distance apart and toes turned out into a 45 degree angle.
- Bend knees and lower your torso, keeping your back straight and abs tight.
- Squeeze your glutes and come to standing position.
Day 8 - 30 reps
Day 9 - 40 reps
Day 10 - rest
#4 Squat With Side Kick
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart, feet parallel. Hold your hands out in front of you for balance. Bend your knees, lowering your hips deeply into a squat, keeping weight back in your heels.
- Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely and lifting the right leg out to the side, squeezing the outer glute.
- As you step the foot back into shoulder-width distance position, squat down again. Then stand up and do a side leg lift on the left side. Lower the leg back to the starting position.
Day 11 - 30 reps
Day 12 - 40 reps
Day 13 - 50 reps
Day 14 - rest
#5 Rear Leg Raises
- Place yourself on your hands knees on an exercise mat.
- Your head should be looking forward and the bend of the knees should create a 90-degree angle between the hamstrings and the calves. This will be your starting position.
- Extend one leg up and behind you. The knee and hip should both extend. Repeat for 5-10 repetitions, and then switch sides.
Day 15 - 20 reps
Day 16 - 30 reps
Day 17 - rest
#6 Body Weight Squats
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. You can place your hands behind your head. This will be your starting position.
- Begin the movement by flexing your knees and hips, sitting back with your hips.
- Continue down to full depth if you are able,and quickly reverse the motion until you return to the starting position. As you squat, keep your head and chest up and push your knees out.
Day 18 - 20 reps
Day 19 - 30 reps
Day 20 - 40 reps
Day 21 - rest
#7 Lunge Back Kick
- Stand with your feet a shoulder width apart. Keep your core stable and weight on your heels.
- Take a large step back with your right foot, planting and then lowering your body until both legs are bent in right angles. Learn forward to work glutes and hamstrings more.
- Exhale as you extend your legs. Lift your right foot, bringing your right knee toward your chest, and then launch a front kick into the stomach of an imaginary opponent standing directly in front of you.
Day 22 - 30 reps
Day 23 - 40 reps
Day 24 - rest
#8 Bear Plank Leg Lifts
- Begin in a plank position with your shoulders stacked above your wrists, and your body in a straight line between the top of your head and your heels.
- Lift your right leg and bend the knee 90 degrees, bringing your heel toward your butt. With a flexed foot, squeeze your glutes, and raise your right heel up toward the ceiling as high as you can.
- Pause, then bring your right knee back to meet your left knee to complete one rep.
Day 25 - 30 reps
Day 26 - 40 reps
Day 27 - 50 reps
Day - rest
The BetterMe Team is by your side throughout your fitness journey! Stay motivated and you can achieve your goals. If you are struggling with your motivation have a look at one of our many articles for inspiration.
Help us support and motivate those you love by sharing this article with them and let us know what you think in the comments below.