All of us have heard in childhood horror stories about swallowed gum and about how terrible can be the consequences of accidental or deliberate ingestion. And it was always interesting, what happens with the chewing gum and the one who ate it.

A rare child did not swallow the gum at least once during a lifetime, doing this partly out of curiosity, because he was repeatedly warned that something terrible would happen after that. Or unusual. Or nothing will happen at all.

In general, we can say that after swallowing one chewing gum, no terrible consequences are to be expected. Chewing gum simply passes through the gastrointestinal tract and leaves it naturally. When it enters the stomach, our internal organs struggle to neutralize this product. The liver as a natural filter, tries to remove all the coloring and stabilizers that are contained in the chewing gum to prevent the occurrence of an allergic reaction.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

Then the stomach will begin to split it. With the help of hydrochloric acid, it dissolves sugar, mint oils that act as flavors, as well as vegetable oils with glycerin, which play the role of softeners.

READ MORE: 30-day abs challenge can help you flatten the belly

When the chewing gum enters the intestine, it looks like a polymeric mass, because it has lost its stickiness due to hydrochloric acid. The intestine can only take it out after a day.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

But not everything goes so good. Sometimes after you swallow a chewing gum you may experience serious symptoms noticing which you should immediately consult a doctor. First of all, such symptoms include high temperature.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

Also, they may be itching and burning, nausea and vomiting, high blood pressure. In fact, these symptoms can be caused by the components of which the chewing gum consists.

READ MORE: What’s your ideal weight according to your body shape and height?

Now we will talk more about the composition of chewing gum. The rubber base makes up more than 20% of the total mass of chewing gum. She consists in general of latex, which is able to cause an allergic reaction.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

But there is up to 60% of sugar in the chewing gum. From a microbiological point of view, such a large amount of sugar makes the chewing gum safe - bacteria do not live at such concentrations of sugar. But there are excess calories, metabolic disorders and dental diseases, which is promoted by chewing gum, like any candy.

One of the most dangerous components of the chewing gum is Sorbitol E420, which can cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhea. Another dangerous component is Acesulfame-K E950, which can lead to cancer.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

READ MORE: Effective arm exercises for women can help to lose arm fat

The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!

Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.